We learned through several sources that the Glenway Lessons Learned Facilitator’s Report <Click to download> was released July 24th. The report does not draw any conclusions but does represent the concerns, comments and suggestions from all that participated. It was noted several times that OMB reform is overdue and was used as leverage by the Developer. All represented groups (Town Council, Town Staff, Marianneville, GPA, Residents) have opportunities to improve the process/outcome around future development.
By reading the report you will note that the Town (partial comment list):
- struggles to process significant development applications in a timely fashion
- either doesn’t have a sufficient Official Plan/Secondary Growth Plan to meet the needs of future development or cannot defend itself and its planning at the OMB
- needs to better direct Town staff/resources and manage requirements/outcomes including frequency of reporting
- needs to better communicate/collaborate with the public and the development community
- needs a better plan/strategy for mass transit/local transit tied to growth/intensification
- needs to review “land use” of public/private open space to determine potential for future development opportunities. We have a number of unfullfilled needs as a municipality.
Suggested next steps from facilitor are:
- Town officials need to review and identify key ideas/straegies/initiatives regading what can be done better/differently regrading future development on Newmarket.
- All parties to consider “lessons learned” session outcomes and determine implications for future action/practices.
Ward 7 Councillor, Christina Bisanz has requested the Town Clerk to include this report on the agenda of the August 31 Committee of the Whole meeting (1:30 – 4:30 p.m.) to unable a fulsome discussion of the outcome and implications, by Council.
Let’s see what actions, responsibility and timing does move forward through the results of our Town Council. Stay tuned!